Behind every great woman is… a great best friend, helping her negotiate life’s ups and downs. Best friends are the people who make the good times sparkle and the bad times bearable. They’re an Ant to your Dec, a Mel to your Sue, they might even be a Thelma to your Louise if you’re old enough. Because there’s something incredibly wonderful about what great friends can achieve together.
Last week something happened that made me feel really stressed and upset. I even had a bit of a cry (unfortunately I am big on crying and small on being stoic). And then I texted my friend Sarah, and somehow she made everything seem maybe not perfect, but not so bad. So this is a bit of a love song to Sarah, but it’s also about everything great friends do for each other…
- She makes everything an adventure – We can be lost, late, and have no lunch, but it’s all part of the joy, because whatever we do she brings an attitude that says ‘we’re going to have FUN!’.
- She makes my world bigger – Not by travelling vast distances, but by stretching my thinking, by showing me different perspectives, by doing things together it would never occur to me to do on my own, and by sharing her knowledge and her life.
- She makes me a better person – Not by criticising or denigrating me, but by inspiring me with her values, how she behaves, and the things she does.
- She is always on my team – I’m not always right, sometimes I’m not even close to right, but she never judges me or makes me feel bad, she just helps me find a better way.
- She is always there for me – I know that if I needed her, my best friend would turn the world upside down to support me, and just knowing she would do that means all it takes is a text from her to make me feel better.
Everyone needs a Sarah on their team, and, even if you don’t know it, you are probably someone else’s Sarah.
In fact, reading down the list, I realise that it isn’t just Sarah, these are qualities that all my friends have. So now I need to stop typing, and start emailing, texting and telling them all how fabulous they are…